This past Sunday was such a beautiful day. The sun was shining brightly, the air was crisp and I could smell from a distance the aroma of Apple Crisp, well, not really but it was a great day for it. So I ended up making just that, but I will upload that recipe later.
One thing about eating plant based meals is the amazing options for much of my favourite food before. For example, Creamy Mushroom Fettuccine is one of my personal favourites, I just omit the chicken now but feel free to add it to this recipe.
As a working mom with three teenage boys, I also need quick and nutritious meals to prepare so one other blessing about plant based which I didn’t even think of when making his transition was the time you save not cooking meats.
This recipe is a common one with many recipes in the web, this one however is plant based but feel free to personalize it your own way, that’s the best part about cooking, make it personal!
A couple of things first before I get to the recipe. Have you ever heard of “nutritional yeast”? I never did till I started cooking plant based. It is quiet the neat little additive to many ingredients for plant based or vegan/vegetarian meals.
I find this ingredient has a cheesy flavour to it and I love adding it to this recipe especially as you probably guessed or already know that plant based nutrition has no dairy. This is also a great supplement for B vitamins as it is loaded with them and B12 being a vitamin I don’t get from meat anymore, it’s perfect!
Click here to find out more about nutritional yeast and it’s any benefits and uses.
On with the recipe….
Creamy Mushroom Fettuccine
- 1 bag Rice Fettuccine, Rice Asian Noodles OR White Organic Fettucinne
- 2 pkg mixed mushrooms(I prefer cremini and white button)
- fresh thyme, rosemary, parsley
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped JARRED garlic OR 4-5 fresh cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (earth balance)
- sea salt and ground pepper -add to your own taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
Add pasta to boiling water as directed. Cook while preparing sauce. Once cooked set aside.
How to make the sauce:
- In a large saucepan add vegan butter and melt over medium heat
- Add garlic & onion and mushrooms then sauté till onions and garlic are transparent-stirring frequently
- Add vegetable broth, sea salt, ground pepper, thyme and rosemary and continue to simmer for another 4-5 minutes
- Add cashew milk and bring to soft boil
- Then stir in nutritional yeast while sauce is boiling until it starts to thicken and then down heat on low.
- This part is where it’s hard for me to write out recipes because I will taste test several times to get the right flavour, you may want more salt , garlic, and pepper or you may want the sauce thicker. So experiment until it is perfect for your taste.
In the meantime, place pasta in a large bowl and add the sauce. Add a few sprigs of thyme and parsley on top and serve with a side, I prefer organic sourdough bread.
and there you have it! This is delicious on any type of day, any time of year.